"No woman can make herself chic if she is not chic herself." -Balenciaga
- Born in Guetaria, Spain
- His specialty was in the cut of a garment
- Innovated the balloon dress, sack dress, and kimono sleeve dress
- Favorite fabric was silk gazar
- By age 20 was Spains leading couturier
- Opened 1st fashion house in 1915 in San Sebastian
- In 1920 the 2nd house opened in Madrid
- In 1937 he moved to Paris and opened showrooms
- 1947 he created his 1st perfume
- In 1968 at the age of 74 he bowed out because he didn't like the wave of vulgarity going through fashion.
- Today Balenciaga runs under the direction of Nicolas Ghesquiere and under the ownership of Gucci group.
Designs by Balenciaga: